Grants and Scholarships
The Sierra Nevada Field Campus is dedicated to supporting San Francisco State University students by expanding accessibility to research and education opportunities. Our scholarship opportunities range from summer-long research grants to scholarships that help to offset travel, accommodation, and tuition expenses. Many of these scholarships are made possible by the generous donations of our community members and by the Friends of the Sierra Nevada Field Campus. We thank all of our donors for making these opportunities possible!
General Scholarships Through SFSU
Thanks to generous donations from our community members, the Friends of the Sierra Nevada Field Campus, and San Francisco State University, we are happy to offer scholarships to help SF State students attend workshops and classes at the SNFC. Please reach out to inquire about these opportunities.
Email the SNFC Director at email@example.com to learn more.
Scholarships from the Friends of the SNFC
Thanks to the generous donations from members of the Friends of SNFC, we are offering three $500 scholarships to make the wonderful experience of a SNFC class more affordable.
Applying is very simple.
1) Simply be registered for any SNFC summer class.
2) Email Jim Steele at firstname.lastname@example.org with a title “Applying for SNFC Scholarship”
3) State the class in which you are registered along with your name, telephone and email contact.
The winners will be chosen randomly from a pool of all registered applicants. Jim will notify all winners at least 2 weeks before their class begins. Finally a board member from the Friends of SNFC will meet you at SNFC on the first day of your class and award you a $500 check.
Thanks to the generous donation from SF State emeritus professor, Mike Vasey, the Sierra Nevada Field Campus is thrilled to offer a $4,500 scholarship award to a graduate student in the College of Science and Engineering to conduct summer field research at the field campus for 6-8 weeks or more. The award includes paid time to work at the field campus supporting the director and seasonal staff.
Details of the award:
- The award will support one student each summer for a duration of six to eight weeks or more as they conduct summer research at the Sierra Nevada Field Campus and assist the Sierra Nevada Field Campus Director.
- Eligible participants shall be graduate students in the College of Science and Engineering in good academic standing with a research project that involves the Northern Sierra Nevada landscape or ecosystem.
- In addition to conducting their research, participants shall be expected, for at least twenty percent (20%) of the duration of their funding term, to assist the Sierra Nevada Field Campus Director with various tasks that include but are not limited to assisting with kitchen staff, camp set-up and/or-take down and other appropriate activities at the discretion of the Director.
The Vasey Award applications are open for summer 2024. Please email us at email@example.com with the subject "Vasey Award" to inquire and apply.